Thursday, 7 October 2010

Golden Gems: Part One

Whilst writing the article about Western and Eastern audiences earlier I got onto thinking about those classic 8/16/32 bit games that really stood out for me; but games that you might've missed out on.

Here's part one of Golden Gems, featuring two of my favourite under rated titles for the Super Nintendo.


Soul Blazer - Super Nintendo

A game I recently discovered, developed by Quintet and published by Enix.

The game lends lots of features from the rest of the Quintet games such as Illusion of Time/Gaia and Terranigma, it also seems to lend heavily from Soleil, a Mega Drive game that never really took off (But I fell in love with).

The story of Soul Blazer is some what similar to a previous title developed by Quintet, instead this time you feature as a servant of the Gods. You are sent down to the Freil Empire to free the living creatures as Dark Gaia has trapped them all - To do this you must trawl through dungeons freeing the people, buildings, plants and talking goats.

Two aspects that really interest me;

1. Dungeon Crawlers - I love them, especially when they have anything to do with Quintet.

2. I really like the idea of freeing villages and cities; I know this will sound sort of abstract and weird, but I love the cozy satisfying feeling you get when you return to town to find happy villagers, It's primarily the reason why Digimon World on PS1 is still ranked within my top 10 games.

The game features power ups, equipment and the usual RPG gear - Definitely worth picking up and playing through.


E.V.O; Search for Eden

When I started this article I didn't intend on having all the games published by Enix, but I guess they just did a good job of publishing games? I dunno.

This game is a jewel, not even kidding - One of the best games from the 90s.

You take the role of a prehistoric creature slowly evolving through the ages - To do this you must eat the other creatures around which changes what features you will have on your creature, sound familiar Will Wright?..Oh ho ho, just when he thought he'd gotten away with Spore, his original idea. BAM. POW. Chris Leddy disproves his originality with the citation of an epic Super Nintendo game.

I suppose If you wanted to look into the story a little bit more, you could say they sort of split the religious and scientific stories and bundled them into one big ball of fun; the game begins with Gaia (A common trait in Enix published games apparently) telling you to swim to your little fishy's heart content.

The game play can get some what repetitive, but it's not too bad and the changes in scenery as well as game play mechanics sort of alters it a bit, enough to keep you interested perhaps.

I suggest picking this up too.

No comments:

Post a Comment